Autopsy of Architecture

Stories Behind the Nation's Historic Buildings & Structures

Tag: Georgia

Willie House

Photo © 2016 David Bulit, Willie House - Louisville, Georgia

The Willie House in Louisville, Georgia was built in 1904 by J.D. Chase, a local carpenter. The property it was built upon was the site of the Louisville Hotel which burned down on December 14, 1899. The owner of the hotel used the insurance payout of $1,000 to finance the construction of the new residence.

Taylor Memorial Hospital

Photo © 2017 David Bulit, Taylor Memorial Hospital - Hawkinsville, Georgia

Originally named the R.J. Taylor Memorial Hospital, the hospital was chartered in 1936 when Robert Jenks Taylor Sr. gave the city of Hawkinsville, Georgia $100,000 for construction of a hospital in memory of his father, Dr. Eziekiel Henry Taylor, and his grandfather, Dr. Robert Newsome Taylor, Hawkinsville’s first physicians. Robert Newsome Taylor was born April

Old Zebulon Elementary School

Photo © 2020 David Bulit, Old Zebulon Elementary School - Zebulon, Georgia

In 1925, the citizens of Zebulon, Georgia passed a $30,000 bond for the construction of a new elementary school and to remodel an existing high school. The school building is a Neoclassical, one-story brick school-house with six classrooms and an auditorium on one end. Construction on the new school building began in April 1926 and Zebulon

Corpsewood Manor

Photo © 2018 David Bulit, Corpsewood Manor - Summerville, Georgia

Out near Summerville, Georgia lays what remains of Corpsewood Manor, a house built by Dr. Charles Lee Scudder and his partner Joseph Odom, and the site of their murders. Charles Scudder was born on October 6, 1926, in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin. In the 1940s, he attended Oberlin College in Oberlin, Ohio, and was involved with the

Antioch Baptist Church

Photo © 2016 David Bulit, Antioch baptist Church - Crawfordville, Georgia

Possessing a congregation that dates back to 1886, the Antioch Baptist Church located just of Taliaferro County, Georgia was founded by ex-slaves looking to expand their freedom and shaping their lives as they saw fit. Having purchased four acres from a nearby landowner for a church and cemetery, the church was built in 1899 by

Foster-Thomason-Miller House

Photo © 2015 David Bulit, Foster-Thomason-Miller House - Madison, Georgia

The Foster-Thomason-Miller House is a historic home located in the Madison Historic District in Madison Georgia, built by Legare H. Foster in 1883. It was later owned by Robert Usher Thomason and his family, and then the Miller family in the 1970s who restored the house to its former grandeur. Incorporated on December 12, 1809,

J. C. Little House

Photo © 2016 David Bulit, James Cain Little House - Louisville, Georgia

James Cain Little was born in Jefferson County, Georgia to Robert Patterson Little and Elizabeth Cain Little on February 7, 1846. Robert P. Little was a successful and influential plantation owner and served in the state legislature for two terms. J.C. Little attended school until August 4th, 1863, when he enlisted in the Confederate Army

Pomegranate Hall

Photo © 2018 David Bulit, Pomegranate Hall - Sparta, Georgia

Pomegranate Hall was built in the 1830s by Nathan Sayre after moving to Sparta, Georgia from New Jersey in the early 1830s where he became a state attorney, a member of the Georgia legislature, and a superior court judge. Although he never married, he had several children with one of his slave women and later

Nolan Plantation

Photo © 2015 David Bulit, Nolan Plantation - Bostwick, Georgia

The Nolan farm operated from 1856 to about 1970 and covered around 2000 acres. Today known as the Nolan Crossroads, the area represents the transition from slavery-based agriculture to the sharecropping economy of the South post-Civil War. This Neoclassical house was constructed by James A. Nolan in 1905 complete with the large curving porch which